Monday, January 18, 2010

Custom Order for Baby Shower

The interest level in our company has been going strong. Lots of inquiries and people interested in custom items for their upcoming baby showers, birthdays and more. I was asked recently to make a custom topper for a diaper cake. I normally defer birds to Myrna because she's so good at them, but because this one was basically done as a trade for an industry friend/client, I decided to give it a whirl! The client had made baby shower invitations of a blue bird (the new stork) flying in the air carrying a baby blanket bundle. She wanted to try and recreate it for a diaper cake.

Since launching gofigurette!, she asked me if I could help her out. Her sister is a professional photographer so we'll hopefully be able to share professional photos at a later date with you.
So I made my first bird and it was way too big, then crushed it up and tried again. The 2nd time came out much better. Then I had the challenge of figuring out how to make the legs and feet of the bird. I luckily had brown crinkle wire and so I twisted it and made it look like the feet that was in the picture. The baby blanket bundle also took some thought. But, after a couple tries, I managed to make it work. But how would I give the bird the appearance that it was flying in the air? I was contemplating doing a tree stump to prop up the bird, but then realized I had some nests I bought at the craft store and figured out a way that I could hide the wire holding the bird in the air. So this is the end result. Not bad if I do say so myself. LOL. For those of you who know me, my specialty is flowers, not figurines.

It was a fun exercise and I'm glad my industry colleague gave me a good challenge! Who knows, maybe we'll offer something like this in the future on our site. It does however qualify as our first sold item on our Etsy site! So happy!
I can't wait for Myrna to blog about what she's been working on for a special little someone! Stay tuned for that!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you soooo much, it turned out great, you are so talented! I love it and it will be a special keepsake for her to keep forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. It was a fun one to try and create for you! :) Thank you again for asking us to be part of a special event in her life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails